SoBro Cafe

Check presentation
I had heard very mixed reviews of SoBro Cafe through the Indy grapevine, so I could not wait to see what was this tucked-away little eatery was all about. Walking in, it is very casual. It has a very Broad Ripple, "we want it to be nice but we aren't into trying too hard" kind of feel. It's pleasant and sunny, with live plants and local art. Bohemian-not-so-chic, but if it were more chic and it would not blend as nicely with its eclectic SoBro neighborhood.
I am writing this review after 4 separate experiences here.  Breakfast (2), lunch (1), and dinner. Just like former Gubernatorial candidate Jimmy McMillan (from The Rent Is Too Damn High Party) would've liked it. That's as political as this blog is going to get. Breakfast, lunch and dinner! (If you haven't watched the Saturday Night Live skit, click here. It makes me laugh out loud each and every time). Back to So Bro...

The highlight of the menu is the Pannekoeken selection. This Dutch/Belgian pancake is somewhere between a crepe and an American breakfast pancake in texture. Fluffy and delicious with both sweet and savory filling options, these are sure to satisfy. Please note, they are on the small side. You will notice that they are very reasonably priced ($4-7), and I believe that is because you are meant to order several. I could easily put down three, though the servers would probably shoot me awkward glances, as they thought it was a little weird when I ordered two. My favorites are spinach, mushroom and Swiss and Nutella with strawberries. You can also create your own.

Pannekoeken
The rest of the food is pretty good. Nothing stand-out, I will admit, but nothing remotely unacceptable. Everything is homemade and there are a lot of interesting cultural influences on the menu, from Middle Eastern to Mediterranean to Asian. I had a lovely salmon salad with tzatziki vinaigrette (it was a daily special), a tasty chicken entree, a nice omelet and breakfast sandwich, well... you get the idea. All good, not amazing. It is priced very well though, and very vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free friendly (much appreciated).

The service is where it gets a little spotty. I've experienced great, attentive, personable service. I've also suffered through space cadet, half-the-orders-are-wrong, forgot-the-check-for-30-minutes service. It's a crap shoot to say the least. Everyone is always friendly, however, and eager to resolve issues.

So Bro Cafe offers a nice local craft beer and wine selection. Their wines by the glass are the most interesting, most affordable I've seen in a long time. Ask and someone will be happy to tell you which bottles they are pouring that day (they don't print the menu).

To sum up, my feelings are mixed. Will I go regularly? Absolutely. The pannekoeken are crave-worthy. I also really want So Bro Cafe to do well, as it's good for the neighborhood. Will I go there for another business lunch? Probably not. I really like the neighborhood feel; the guests already seem like regulars, and it's an easy place to be. I would encourage you to try it, but don't be shocked if the service is hit or miss. 3/5 total. The Hulk Hogan check presenters edge them just above average. Cheers to SoBro!