1933 Lounge (St Elmo)

Well, well, well.. what do we have here?  Could it really be true?  Downtown Indianapolis has a real lounge? It's true. Better yet, it's the kind of place you want to sit down and [literally] stay awhile. It's smoke free. It's not overly noisy (even when crowded!). It's beautiful. It just may be perfect. 

St. Elmo's opened its upstairs 1933 Lounge this past weekend. As an unabashed lounge enthusiast and a huge fan of the concept of enjoying an evening out without having to eat in a traditional restaurant, I braved opening night.  Call me crazy, but I just couldn't keep myself away. Maybe it was a foodie's instinct, but I just had a hunch this place would be special.  This is Elmo after all, and they take their reputation seriously.

We are ushered upstairs at the front door and immediately greeted by a lovely hostess. The host staff is comprised of lithe beauties in their own red dresses (brilliant!), making them as easy to find as they are stylish. As Elmo does, the place is staffed to the nines, completely thwarting the concept of being slammed, giving poor service, and having unsatisfied guests.

I have to take a little time to gush about the decor. I instantly fall in love with the exposed brick, beautiful wood floors and eclectic lighting. This place is big--but it feels cozy and approachable. Every seating area has it's own unique feel--antique mirrors, sideboards, chandeliers, or sconces set each area apart--but it is a very cohesive concept. I can't stop staring at everything because it is just so darn gorgeous. Ahhhh... I digress.

The signature cocktail
Back to the review! We opt for a seating area with a comfy cognac leather sofa and two great club chairs. We decide to give the place the full Monty:  appetizers, specialty cocktails, the works! Courtney and I order the French 75.  The boys order the signature Elmo Cola, which is a fancy bourbon and Coke. Then we order apps.  I am in love with their menu, because you can actually eat a full meal without ordering a bunch of fried food or super-heavy dips. Leave it to Elmo to have not one, not two, but four beef options as appetizers!

Like beef-starved travelers fresh out of India, we order all four: Filet Chops (I've only heard of this mysterious wonder), Beef Carpaccio, Filet Sliders and Mac + Cheese, and a sliced New York Strip with Parmesan Crisps.  Though we try really (really!) hard to eat like civilized folk in a high-society setting, we still manage to wolf down everything in a matter of a few minutes. The food blew all of us away. Between Courtney and Jeff we have about the two biggest and most critical beef eaters I've ever seen, so that's really saying something!

The carpaccio is the best version any of us had ever had.  The cheeky menu touts it as "pounded nirvana," and I can't disagree.  The arugula, capers, parmaggiano reggiano, and lemon were just perfect compliments to said pounded nirvana. The macaroni and cheese had a pleasant and surprising amount of white pepper, which combined with the bacon to make it zingy (and not too salty!). The sliders are always awesome (we knew that going in).  The sliced New York was topped with an herb-garlic butter sauce that was to die for.... Those little filet chops (think lamb chop but of filet mignon) were succulent and definitely worthy of the Elmo name.

We also loved our cocktails.  The French 75 has gin, St. Germain, prosecco, and lemon (I secretly think they concocted this just for me).  The Elmo Cola was cute... served with mini Coke bottles with an optional $8 shot to make a second cocktail with your leftover half-bottle.  Jeff likes those little bottles so much he just drank his straight up. The Spicy Margarita was a little watered-down at first, but they fixed it and it was great. The Russian Mule was served in a funny little copper mug.  It had the very distinctive flavor of strong ginger beer.

Our service was impeccable.  The General Manager, Chris, stopped by right away and periodically checked in to make sure everything was up to snuff.  Our server was friendly and attentive.  On night one the place seemed to run like a well-oiled machine. As a veteran of this industry I understand just how rare (and improbable) that is.  Then again, this is Elmo, and they get it right.





Filet Chops
Carpaccio
Slider w/Mac+Cheese












Russian Mule

New York with Parmesan
French 75 (aka F+F)



Sublimely Happy Foodie
 I give 1933 Lounge top marks of 5/5. It's pricey, but it's worth it. Jeff and I decided we will enjoy this prime location at least one a month, even if it is just for a cocktail and a split beefetizer.  I will absolutely take my boss the next time she is in town, because she will love me (and Indy) more afterward. The food and drinks are outstanding, the service is personal, and the ambiance cannot be beat. I will continue to rave about this remarkable downtown gem. As I told Chris (the GM), I may never go downstairs again. Cheers!