Seasons 52 (summer menu)

Seasons 52 is one of the few chains I like. That's right--this locavore, small business champion likes a chain. It may be a part of restaurant titan Darden, but it feels different. The Managing Partner and Chef Partner actually own part of the restaurant. They are committed to being part of our community (and have the chamber memberships to boot). Though they like to source foods locally and organically, their commitment to the quality and freshness of the food and wine they serve is paramount.
The fact that everything on the menu is 450 calories or less is a bonus. Those little "dessert shots" (as my brother calls them) are just plain evil. I am helpless to resist.

I'm going to highlight a few things on the summer menu that are noteworthy. First, the organic arugula with watermelon, pistachios, jicama, grilled golden beets and goat cheese is out of this world! The earthiness of the beets plays beautifully with the sweet, clean crunch of the watermelon, the salty pistachios, the tang of the goat cheese and the peppery arugula.

The summer vegetarian sampler feels nothing like the typical conglomerate of last-minute sides or bland veggie pasta dishes that most restaurants offer their vegetarian guests. It is truly a spotlight entree, something that I would order in a heartbeat as a proud meat-eater.The highlights for me were the chili relleno set to fresh Mediterranean flavors, the soft taco full of fresh veggies and guacamole, and the grains of life medley scented with orange and lots of herbs. The tofu was a little bland, but the spicy mango chutney helped it along. All in all, I would give this vegetarian option a darn-near perfect score, as it is a real meal fit for anyone with or without the Veg label. 

The shrimp and lobster spring rolls were as good as any I have had in an authentic Asian restaurant. I did find the mint to be a little overpowering, but other than that they were completely delicious. The dipping sauces each provided a nice counterpoint to the tender wrappers full of fresh vegetables, glass noodles and seafood.

I saved my favorite for last: organic Copper River Salmon with corn risotto, dill creme fraiche and grilled asparagus. This is simply the best piece of fish I have ever had. For that to happen in Indianapolis is just crazy (and awesome). The salmon was so fresh that it practically leapt off the plate and into my mouth. It was melt-in-your-mouth scrumptious with all those delicious omega-3 fatty acids creating a buttery mouth-feel and super-delicate flavor. The accompaniments were great, but the fish spoke for itself.

I give the Seasons 52 summer menu 4.5/5. Chain or not, it is just amazingly delicious food. I always find the service to be impeccable, as well as the wine pairings. Cheers to summer!