Fall Favorites

Bonfire In a Mug

(two servings)
1 c apple cider
small pinch of nutmeg (it's really strong!)
1 cinnamon stick
splash of orange juice
2-3 oz great non-spiced rum (Rhum Clement from Martinique is my favorite)
splash of Grand Marnier

Heat all non-alcoholic ingredients in a sauce pan until simmering. Divide into 2 mugs or rocks glasses. Add half of each liquor to each. Garnish with an extra cinnamon stick if you have one. And thank you Libertine Liquor Bar for naming this on Twitter!


Broad Ripple Brew Pub Bloody Mary


Broad Ripple Brew Pub Bloody Mary
Holy garnishes! Lime, cornichon, roasted brussels sprout, green bean.... in some circles this may count as a salad. Made with their housemade Bloody Mary mix, this is pretty incredible (and huge)
Pannekoeken at So Bro Cafe.

Pannekoeken are slightly fluffier than crepes and delicious both sweet and savory. I created my own off of the the So Bro Cafe menu with Swiss cheese, sauteed spinach, and mushroom. It lasted about 3 seconds before I wanted to order another.

The Chook Sparkling Shiraz

I conducted a wine tasting at a dinner party last week, and I brought this sparkling red wine as my "wildcard" to stretch everyone's palates and conceptions a little bit. Not only did it get a rave review, but it was extremely food-friendly. We served it with a Maytag blue cheese brulee with fig jam, as well as a toasted sesame Sriracha-laced tuna tartare. Perfectly lovely with both. I heard a rumor that this website will have the best pricing for this bottle (I think they are set to open 11/1/12, but you can sign up to receive information here: www.greymarketwine.com). Well under $20 and a fabulous value! Serve slightly chilled (like a Pinot Noir).

Pannekoeken at So Bro Cafe

Black Rice

Forever on the hunt for new and enticing side dishes, I tried this on a whim. The package instructions say 35 minutes and a 2:1 water rice ratio.  I doubled the cooking time and used at least 50% more liquid and it still had a chewy texture (that was very enjoyable) and great flavor. Here's what I did:


Black Rice
1 carrot, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cups black rice (not wild rice)
4 cups red wine (I used Malbec)
2 cups veggie stock
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T olive oil
1 t. dried coriander seed
1 t. dried rosemary
1 t. fresh thyme (dried works too)
salt and pepper

I just let this go in a rice cooker for about an hour and it was delicious. It ended up being very dark, but it didn't stain much at all. All the the vegetables will turn dark beet purple. It's a striking dish.

Shannon Ridge Chardonnay

Strikingly good for the price, this is a delicious little chardonnay from Lake County with notes of caramel apple and perfectly balanced oak and butter. Chardonnay enthusiasts will love its subtlety and restraint, non-Chard drinkers will appreciate a nice amount of acidity and lack of overpowering oak. It's definitely going on my holiday party wine list. (I also think this one is available starting 11/1/12 on the same site).