Laguna Beach (part 1)

This weekend we pretended to be jet-setters and headed out to Laguna Beach. Laguna Beach is home to unbelievable surfing, hyper-developed coastlines and faux celebrities. In fact, it only took us (ok, just me) a few hours to spot a OC Real Housewife at the hotel rooftop bar (Jo from season1. Yes, I am mildly embarrassed that I know that).


I had my doubts, but the occasion was one of my dearest friend's nuptials, so I happily decided to enjoy the premium price of sun and surf.


We arrived at 10:30pm on Friday night, hungry and bleary from the exploits of LAX, piece of-crap-rental cars and far too many hours without sleep. Hotel Casa del Camino is right on the South Coast Highway. It is decorated in a Moroccan theme (there were Moroccan lamps, adobe walls and a hookah in our room). The lobby is always bustling with trendy beachgoers and edgy partygoers.


The Lost Suite at Hotel Casa Del Camino
Lucky for us, the hotel tapas restauarant--K'ya Bistro--was still hopping. In fact, it seemed like the place to be. Ripe with locals (hipsters, posers, and plenty of people wanting to be seen) it was a people watcher's dream.


Our server (a handsome young model/actor/surfer type) was kind and knowledgable and happy to make recommendations to two road-weary travelers. I had a beautiful glass of La Crema Pinot Noir (one look at the wine list had me exclaiming "Toto, we aren't in the MidWest anymore!"). Jeff had a craveable mango mojito (many more would be enjoyed throughout our stay). Cheers to vacation! We ordered Tilapia Piccata and Truffled Mac and Cheese (with blue cheese, porcini, and crispy almonds). Both hit the spot.

It was pricey (about $70 with tax and tip for a very lean version of dinner). Then again, this is the OC. I give K'ya 3.5/5 for a kickin' atmosphere, good food, great drinks and friendly service. Welcome to the beach! Cheers... (stay tuned for part 2 and pics)