Wine Professionals

Since opening the Lobby Lounge several years ago, I've had the opportunity to travel through California's wine country and meet several winemakers.  Making wine certainly is not as glamorous as one may first think, but it has an undeniably romantic appeal. If you've ever been to a small winery (say, out in Sonoma or Mendocino counties), you know that the people who make wine are salt-of-the-earth and incredibly knowledgeable about their land and the processFor me, knowing the winemaker--hearing their stories, passions, and experiences--enhances the entire experience.

So that the next time you run into a wine professional you have some context, here are all of the professions that one can have in that sector.  Even if you don't run in circles teeming with viticulture, this will at least be good cocktail party fodder.  (Thank you wikipedia!)




I had no idea what any of these occupations were before I got into the industry.  Wine can be a very intimidating topic, but I firmly believe that it shouldn't be.  To the contrary, wine--like everything else we love and cherish--is meant to be enjoyed and understood in a way that doesn't make anyone feel stupid, uneducated, or having a lesser-than pedigree.


So go forth and confidently speak of Oenologists, Sommeliers and Terroir.  Help me in my quest to demystify this nectar of the gods.  Cheers!