Seasons 52

Seasons 52, part of the Darden group of restaurants (of Capitol Grille and Outback Steakhouse fame) is new to our city.  Located at Keystone at the Crossing, it is a tempting lunch choice.  The concept is revolutionary in the restuarant world:  every menu item (including desserts) is 475 calories or less.  They don't even have mayonnaise in the kitchen (those of you who know me know that scores major points for me).  Surely this is too good to be true.

Today I am meeting a friend of mine who has recently ended a long hotel career to embark on an exciting new position in the restaurant arena.  We sit at the bar, which they call "the piano area" for its live piano music every night.  The decor is warm and welcoming, masculine with a touch of modern.  I dislike the loud fabric on the banquets, but I am a tough critic and everything else looks and feels great.  Our server, Mel, is fabulous!  She knows the wine list in and out.  I inquire about the Verdejo, and she tells me all about it.  It is delightfully crisp and refreshing.

The menu is fraught with seasonal offerings from a variety of different backgrounds and influences.  I opt for the Lemongrass Salmon Salad and my friend orders the Chipotle Shrimp Flatbread.  My salad is a thing of beauty.  The salmon comes on a spear of lemongrass, the salad comes in a glass hurricane that they lift upon service to release the greens to the plate.  The flavor is well-balanced, with slivered almonds, edamame, small bits of sauteed pineapple, a white balsamic vinaigrette and perfectly grilled salmon.  The flatbread is a little of everything:  sweet, smokey, and salty with a slight kick of heat.

Mel also promises us a taste of their new white feature on the wine list, a Veridicchio from Marchetti, and Italian white in the Pinot Grigio style but with more body and notes of peach.  The wine does not disappoint.  She informs us that the point of a wine bar in Indy is to help people try new wines.  Mel, we couldn't agree more!  

Overall, this lunch experience was stellar!  It was a little pricey ($52 for two with 2 glasses of wine, tax and tip), but it was worth every penny.  I give them 4/5 for excellent service, delicious food (the waist-trimming component is a bonus), and a wonderful ambiance.  I will be back many times.  My wallet may not thank me but my waist just might.