Independence Day (drinking)

The Fourth of July is a time to celebrate how insanely lucky we are to be Americans. Whatever your particular political persuasion, I hope we can all agree that the United States of America affords us opportunities and freedoms no other nation can boast.  This, my friends, is reason to celebrate.


We celebrate by going out to my brother- and sister-in-law's house out in Crawfordsville, Indiana. It is the most fun we have all year as a family. There is swimming, corn hole, a bonfire, a firework-powered car race (for the kids, only extremely sightly dangerous), and food.  Lots of food.  Usually burnt hotdogs (my brother-in-law is notorious for losing track of the grilling duties between beers), as well as everyone's best pitch-in offering. I usually bring a hummus, cheese and veggie plate to be original (haha). This year, however, I am going to wow them.


How, you ask? With sangria! Mind-blowing, nectar of the Gods sangria that every woman (and man if they are honest) at the party will appreciate  and thank me for (shortly before they beg me for the recipe). Inspired by my recent SoCal sojourn, here is the recipe for said worship-worthy concoction: 

RED SANGRIA
1 bottle of good red zinfandel
2 oz Pama
2 oz Triple Sec
16 oz cranberry-pomegranate (or similar) juice
2 oranges, sliced and squeezed
1 small package of frozen blueberries (they serve as the ice)


WHITE SANGRIA
1 bottle of Pinot Grigio (or other dry white wine)
2 oz Absolut Peach-double up on the Malibu if you don't have it
2 oz Malibu Mango
2 oz Triple Sec
16 oz white cranberry-peach (sub apple if necessary)
2 oranges, sliced and squeezed and squeezed
1 lemon, sliced and squeezed
1 small package of sliced frozen peaches or pineapple

All you have to do is stir!  It is better if it has few hours for the flavors to marry, but if you have to assemble it on the spot, no big deal.  If you mix it up before-hand just serve it over ice.  (As confident as I am in this recipe, I am bringing a Caprese Salad as a back-up in case my relatives don't get on the Sangria bandwagon.  Stay tuned!)


God bless our friends, family, and those who serve and protect our freedom.  Happy Independence Day.  Cheers!