Salmon Bundle

I used to wait tables at a great little gourmet restaurant in Zionsville called the Pidge.  The Owner/Chef, Casey Uglow (who still has a cult following), had three amazing years of making Indianapolis Monthly's Top 50 Indy Restaurants, but just couldn't make it work and sadly shut her doors in 2003. Zionsville is still in mourning.

The Pidge was the only food eastablishment I worked that I never got tired of the food. Working mostly double shifts for a full year (I was in full-on money-saving mode), that is something to be said. In fact, our half-price entree each shift was the highlight of each day, carefully planned and highly anticipated. My favorite lunch offering was something called the Salmon Bundle.  I still salivate when I say the name.

It is an unassuming spinach tortilla filled with grilled mushrooms and salmon, fresh spinach, dilled Havarti cheese and a roasted garlic aioli. Mayophobe that I am, I leave that part out (I swear it is just as good, but you can judge for yourself).  I would give you a schemata, but you already know all the ingredients and it's very self-explanatory.  Just make sure the grill is nice and hot and everything gets lightly charred.  Wrapping up the ingredients tightly and grilling the entire wrap is also key, as it lets the cheese fully melt and the flavors combine.  

Before eating this heavenly burrito-of-the-gods, I never thought of fish and cheese together. (I suppose with the exception of a parmesan-crusted white fish).  Now I routinely pair fish (full-flavored fish work best) with chevre, herbed boursin, and dilled Havarti.  I also find that salmon and bleu cheese works nicely.  This particular bundle is one of the best bites I have ever eaten, and I still make it when I have a lunch guest that I really want to impress. In fact, I think it will be on our menu for dinner tomorrow.... Cheers!