San Diego

Faced with one precious night in San Diego, I had to try to get the most of of my little sliver of time. Asking the locals is the best way to get to the truly must-dos. Should I go to Coronado Island to see te beautiful beaches? Visit the Maritime Museum? After cmuch cnsultation of hotel personnel, I decided that since I had such a limited amount of time, I would stay on foot and see Little Italy, the Gaslamp Quarter, and go down to the waterfront.


The Glass Door inside Hotel Porto Vista
I started at my hotel's lounge--The Glass Door in Hotel Porto Vista--for my complimentary cocktail (a check-in perk). I ordered something called the Chameleon: Absolut Pears, Gingerale, soda, and a pineapple garnish. It was delicious but it needed an acidic component, and two lemon wedges did the trick. I also ordered the artichoke dip, which was the pleasant surprise of the evening: hot, gooey, full of Parmesan and crunchy water chestnuts and served with a lovely olive oil toasted baguette and fresh parsley. It was filling enough to give me a few hours to explore before I needed to refuel... Haha.


I proceeded to meander through the city starting in Little Italy (cute! Urban Broad Ripple vibe). I made my way to the waterfront with all of its military and historic tall ships. Dozens of bike-taxis insisted on giving me rides, which I politely declined (a little less politely after the twelfth solicitation). I then headed to the infamous Gaslamp Quarter, an upscale historic district full of things to do. Allured by their Happy Hour menu (and with only 30 more minutes left of HH --it lasts until 7pm on the West Coast), I ducked into Currant Brasserie and found a seat at the bar.


The Wedge at Currant
Currant, located inside the Hotel Sofia, is exactly the type of restaurant I fantasize about owning one day (though my more sensible half wants nothing to do with the trials of restaurant life again). The menu, the atmosphere, the food, the wine list, and the cocktails are all the perfect combination of French elegance and modern, relaxed Americanism.


I order from the HH menu: Stone IPA, a wedge salad and the onion soup gratinee. The bartender (Karl K) is from Detroit and provides wonderful service, indulging all my questions about San Diego, the hotel, and Currant. He tells me their soup is his favorite, and it does not disappoint. When I ask him what liquer they use in the broth (I guess cognac), he tells me Grand Marnier. It adds this wonderful light air of subtle sweetenss to a beef broth that is usually too salty and heavy. The wedge (not usually something I order) is stunning. It has crispy, chewy bacon lardons, crunchy sliced radish, huge chunks of veiny pungent bleu and a port reduction that adds an acidic sweetness and makes the whole thing work.


The bar at Currant
At this point my desire to find another location for a drink and/or dessert has completely fizzled. I spy something on the cocktail list that I simply cannot resist: champagne with Veev acai liquor and St. Germain. Just as I think this cocktail was made just for me, I spot four or five of my favorite small-batch wines on the list. This is getting ridiculous--I have to leave before I get into trouble. I am working tomorrow morning and then taking the red-eye; this is no time for shenanigans. I thank Karl K profusely and make my way back to the hotel, where I watch the sunset from the roof and then retire to my room. San Diego has given me a one-night wonder to remember, and I look forward to coming back again soon, maybe for 48 hours next time.


Currant gets 4.5/5. It was quasi-casual magic, and I was sad tat it had to end. maybe they will take my suggestion to open one in Indianappolis sometime in the foreseeable future. Until then, I just have a great excuse t get back to the left coast. Cheers!