Palomino

When my boss comes to town (she's based in Chicago), I always look forward to sharing a meal with her.  She has impeccable taste in wine and enjoys food as much as I do. Not only is she a fantastic conversationalist and a great listener (with many tales of triumph, folly, and humor), but she is just fun!

Since she is from Chicago, I can't help but be on a subconscious quest to brag on my city and all of its best parts.  I've taken her to many of my favorite spots to eat (Petite Chou, Harry & Izzy's) and drink (Midtown Grill, Olive's) in a constant quest to show off how great Indy is.  So far I think I'm doing okay, as she regards Indianapolis as clean, safe, accessible, and pretty, with very nice people and a lot to do. (I second those sentiments.)

The Albarino flight at Palomino
Because of her truly insane travel schedule, I often have to meet her at or near her hotel.  This time, staying downtown, we choose Palomino (we can't completely break the company bank, but it's dinner rush hour and we don't want to have a long wait). Our server is a handsome, exuberant mid-20s foodie and he starts us off straight away with a flight of Albariños:  Martin Codáx Rias Baixas (Spain), Bonny Doon Ca-Del Sol (Monterrey County), Don Olegario Rias Biáxas (Spain).  This is the perfect flight to illustrate the difference between old world and new world wines.  The old world wines (the two Spanish selections) were subtly crisp, refined, and very balanced.  The new world wine (Bonny Doon) was bold, in your face with its almost briny, green acidity.  See more on Albariño below (such a great choice this time of year!):


Albariño (Galician pronunciation: [albaˈɾiːɲo]) or Alvarinho (Portuguese: [alvaˈɾiːɲo]) is a variety of white wine grape grown in Galicia (northwest Spain) and Monção (northwest Portugal), where it is used to make varietal white wines.

Albariño is actually the Galician name for the grape, with Albarín Blanco an occasional synonym. In Portugal it is known as Alvarinho, and sometimes as Cainho Branco. [1]

It was presumably brought to Iberia by Cluny monks in the twelfth century. Its name "Alba-Riño" means "the white from Rhine" and it has locally been thought to be a Riesling clone originating from the Alsace region of France, although earliest known records of Riesling as a grape variety date from the 15th, rather than the 12th, century. It is also theorized that the grape is a close relative of the French grape Petit Manseng. [2]

It should not be confused with the Alvarinho Liláz grape of Madeira.  The above article is courtesy of Celletracker.com  Acccess the full article here.
 
Anyway, we both liked the two old world wines much better than the Bonny Doon, and we were very happy with all of this albariño in front of us.  We split a Rotisserie Chicken Flatbread with arugula pesto, roasted peppers, and romano cheese.  It is very tasty, but not life-changing.  It does hit the spot though while we wait for the main events.  I order paella and my boss orders Halibut.  

Heaven-sent Paella
The paella is a risk, and I know it.  Since tasting paella in Spain years ago, I have been drastically disappointed in most versions I have ordered stateside.  Our adorable server swears on his life that it will be amazing. Skeptical, I hope for the best. I must say, this is absolutely the best paella I've had since Spain (maybe even better).  The fish wasn't dry, there was lots of flavor from the spicy chorizo, the saffron was perfectly aromatic.  It was heaven.  My companion thoroughly enjoyed her halibut, but I don't think it was quite the transformative experience of the paella.


While dessert sounded good, we are both too full of albariño and fish to move (except we did somehow end up at Harry & Izzy's for a nightcap).  I really don't know precisely what this meal cost, but I do know two things.  First, it wasn't the most expensive meal either of us had eaten; secondly, it definitely wasn't the most affordable either.  All I know is that I would pay plenty for that luscious, take-me-back-to-Barcelona-in-one-bite paella. ¡Fantástico! I give Palomino 4/5 for excellent service, great food, and a paella that is mind-blowing. I'm sure the company and conversation did make a bit of difference, but isn't that always the case? By the way, my boss only reads this blog on occasion, so this is not a shameless brown-nosing attempt.  Cheers!