Table 52 (Guest Blog)

My friend Laurie recently took a weekend trip to Chicago to visit a foodie friend.  She was specifically on a mission to visit Art Smith's Table 52, the restaurant venture that pulled the celebrity chef away from his famous Oprah Winfrey duties. Having been a long-time fan of Smith, I asked Laurie for a quick interview on her experience. This is a momentous post for food + fizz, our first guest blog!

So Laurie, what was your favorite thing about Table 52?
I loved the cozy, warm, Southern charm of the place.  It was just so inviting!   My friend and I were also obsessed with the goat cheese, parmesan and chive biscuit that they served us when we were seated.  It was one of the best things I have ever eaten.  If they gave us another one it could have been the whole dinner!

What else was memorable about what you ate?
After the biscuit, they served us 2 deviled eggs with bay shrimp.  It must be their signature, because every dinner guest got one.

So it sounds like that is their amuse bouche?
Yes, I think so.  It was fabulous.  For dinner we ordered a sea bass special and the "Farm To Crust" of the day, which was a flatbread featuring local vegetables and artisinal cheeses.  Everything was fresh and delicious.

Did you get to meet Art Smith?
Yes! He came around to every table, it was so exciting... It made my night!

Was he as sweet as he seems on television?
Yes.  He was incredibly genuine.  He spoke with every single guest, and hung out the whole night chatting with guests and checking on tables.

What was the most surprising thing about Table 52?
The first was that the food was incredibly reasonable in price.  I was blown away! On the other hand, the wine list was very pricey.  The cheapest bottle was $90. At least there were a few to choose from, but we were shocked by that. We drank a Robert Sinskey Cabernet France (2007), and we enjoyed it very much.

Would you eat there again?
Well, I would definitely recommend it!  I am very glad I went, but there are so many fabulous places in Chicago I would probably opt to try someplace new.  But that's just me!
What would you rank it out of 5?
A solid 4/5. We had a great experience!

Thanks, Laurie!  I think f+f will have to do a hands-on review sometime soon. Cheers...

52 W. Elm Street Chicago
Reservations 312.573.4000
Monday-Saturday  5pm-9:30pm
Sunday  4pm-8:30pm
Sunday Brunch  10:30am-2pm