A Brief Brush With the World of Wine

Since I haven't started really digging into wine on the blog yet, I thought now is a good time to explain my affinity for that particular nectar of the gods. I started cooking with wine when I was 9, and therein started my vast appreciation.  Some great opportunities (wine tasting in the picturesque Loire Valley with my mom, for instance) helped it along, but none so much as my beloved Lobby Lounge.

For 5 years I owned and operated the historic Brick Street Inn in Zionsville. It was in pretty bad shape when I took over, and it took me several years of fixing the existing profit enters before I could focus on the concept that I knew would work well on Main Street-  an upscale wine and martini lounge.  The objectives of the Lobby Lounge were twofold: a relaxed, opulent ambiance and a killer wine list.  We had 86 wines offered by the bottle and 15 by the glass.  We focused exclusively on boutique, small production, and (when possible) biodynamic wineries to complement our "support the little guy" culture. (I should note that I still hold firmly to this in my everyday life- you won't see many corporate chains reviewed on this blog.)

Brad Sullivan from Carroll Wine and Spirits (whom my friends know as my "wine yoda") helped me create a list that was well-rounded, educational, and toasted the little guy.  That process (tasting hundreds of wines and learning from every possible resource) was truly a metamorphosis for me.  The respect I have for the world of wine is enormous.  Particularly inspiring are the pioneers who are making wine approachable, colloquial, and a part of every day dining.  Erik Miller with Kokomo Winery (a proud Boilermaker) is one such wine-making superstar. His wines will certainly be the subject of an upcoming blog (they deserve their own article!).

Though my days at the Lobby Lounge are over now (I sold the business this past August- a bittersweet decision), they left a lasting impression of service, quality, and taste in my life.  I hope that I have become someone whose palette (well-tested palette, I might add) is trustworthy enough to make recommendations on bottles.  Sparkling wines are among my favorite, so there will be lots suggestions for Cava, Prosecco, Champagne, and a host of other sparkling varieties.  I hope to help you demystify wine in a way that helps you enjoy it in your everyday life. So stay tuned for lots of wine chat, tasting party suggestions, trends, and affordable recommendations to come.  Cheers!