Cooper's Hawk Winery

I work at Keystone at the Crossing.  While I attempt to avoid chains (or patronize local chains like Patachou), this part of town is Chain City, USA.  That said, every now and then I succumb.  This time, it was such a beautiful day (rare recently) that I had to find a patio.  Cooper's Hawk fit the bill! 


The entrance experience was strange.  I accidentally walked in the wrong door and right into a entire staff training (it was pretty early for lunch- about 11:15am).  Instantly, I felt as if I were intruding, but the manager took the reigns and offered me the Cabernet Sauvignon they were tasting and made me feel right at home.  Well done! They showed me to a table on a well-appointed, SoCal feel patio (chocolate rattan and stainless steel chairs, light and dark inlaid wood table tops, black market umbrella).  


My server, Lindsey, was incredibly knowledgeable and guided me through their enormous wine list; I wasn't going to have wine with lunch, but after my complimentary tasting you didn't have to twist my arm.  After a taste their Blanc de Blancs ( I couldn't resist), which was amazing, she recommended their wine of the month (and you know how I feel about specials).  This lovely Verdelho Chardonnay was stainless steel fermented, with medium body and crisp notes of peach and pear and nice acidity.  It is off-dry, reminiscent of a great French Chenin Blanc. I chose it for the food pairing, as it was absolutely perfect with what I ate (see below). 


I had a half-sandwich/soup combo: Triple White Grilled Cheese and Lobster/Crab Bisque with a side of Asian slaw. The sandwich was delectable--not your grade school version at all.  Vermont white cheddar, aged Swiss and creamy goat cheese layered with balsamic caramelized onions and truffle oil on toasted sourdough.  Heaven for me includes one of these (daily).


The bisque (and I am not heavy soup girl, but it was their specialty) was mind-blowing.  A luxurious velvety broth with the perfect texture (it just coated your spoon- not too thick or thin) gave way to small morsels of crab, lobster and shrimp with mirepoix (the classic french trio of carrots, onion and celery).  The mark of a great soup is that the star--seafood, in this case--is allowed to shine. This could not have been better.  The Asian Slaw was lovely but not remarkable- it provided a much needed palette-cleansing crunch to the rich soup and gooey sandwich. I should note that they also served me a pretzel bread loaf with airy, easily spreadable butter.  I certainly didn't need it (so much food!), but it was a great accompaniment value add.


Much to the dismay of my small business bias, Cooper's Hawk gets a 5/5!  The service, food, ambiance and price were outstanding and far exceeded my expectations.  My bill was $24 with a tax and a 25% tip, not bad for bread, lobster bisque, half sandwich, Asian slaw, 2 tastes of wine and one great glass of chardonnay.