A Good Old Standby (everyone needs a few)

The beloved Brewpub--the Broad Ripple Brewpub, of course. Owned by tall, British, bearded John Hill.  Brewers of a wickedly-strong India Pale Ale (sometimes it's great, sometimes it's not, but it's always strong).  The regular patrons are for the most part incredibly witty, quick to throw down in a verbal spar, at either end of the political continuum (though most are liberal), strongly in favor of legalizing marijuana (liberal and conservative alike), and almost as strongly committed to their neighborhood establishments.


There are patrons, like my Jeff, who were literally there on their first day of business 15 years ago and just kept coming back. Jeff actually drank their first pint of beer (IPA of course) from flagship bartender Corky Aiken, incredibly apropeaux.  There are people who accidentally stumbled upon the establishment (like me), played one game of darts with the regulars, and got hooked on the trash talking and cynicism in the dart room and came back for more.  There are also many families who dine at the pub, because though the beer can be a little unpredictable, the food is always good.  It's the best hippie bar food anywhere (it's the place to dine if you want to avoid fried food in a pub--not an easy task).


On this particular evening, we met our friends Courtney and Josh for dinner.  No dart room, no shooting the breeze with the regulars, just dinner. Our server, Jess, was attentive, and the patio made for great people watching.  I prefer the patio to dining inside, as I find the ambiance in the dining room tired and dark (and I find carpet in restaurants gross). This night happened to coincide with the first annual MayIndyTweetup, which was an awesome event (to be written about later) chock-full of Ripple Rats in the streets. Our vantage point on 65th Street near Cornell couldn't have been better.


In my opinion the specials at the pub are always the best bet.  In my stint as a server in fine dining (lots of good stories to be blogged about in the future), our Chef was always most excited about the specials.  Daily specials are a way for cooks to flex their culinary creative muscles.  Let's face it- very few people chose the industry to man the fryer or throw beef patties on a flat-top. So I always take a hard look at the specials, because I feel there will be more effort, more thought, and more creativity put into them than the regular menu favorites.  I could be wrong, but I'm generally not disappointed.


This evening the weekly specials list (on the back, bottom part of the menu) was filled with great options.  I chose the Thai pizza, Courtney and Josh had the hand-breaded Red Hook Ale pork tenderloin (it was so big the brought and extra bun and each had a full sandwich), and Jeff went with his old standby pub fare--a banger + mash and green peas.  All of it was delicious, none of it surprising, and it was extremely affordable.  We started with the Ploughman's Platter, which is a large portion of tasty herbed hummus, veggies (even jicama!), cubed cheddar and fresh pita bread.  Sausage is optional, we opted out this night.


My Thai pizza was notable because though it was small (I think 7"), it was mighty.  The peanut sauce used as a base was perfectly spicy, the grilled chicken and peppers added a punch, and the cheese (not typical in Thai or any Asian food) was actually a nice way to round out the texture and salt-content of the dish. (Not that I have ever complained about cheese.)  I would order it again. I should note that I am frustrated that they took my all-time favorite dish off the menu- the Thai Peanut Pasta (Jenny-style). Bummer.  At least the specials menu still rocks it out!


I give the Brewpub a 3.5/5.  Food was above average, service was adequate, prices were excellent.  I wasn't wowed, but then again, the Broad Ripple Brewpub doesn't have to wow me, it is my neighborhood pub and all I ask for is consistency.  Everyone needs a good old standby, and this is one of mine. Cheers!